This is a list of reading material relevant to “Entrepreneurship” in technology. For Students, have a look at Marc Andreesen’s post on Career Planning. Enjoy.
(This page replaces the FIZZ page. )
Table of Contents
- BAEN 502 Managing New Venture Growth – my “customer development” course taught in fall of 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011. Based on Steve Blank’s “The Four Steps to the Epiphany”.
- Tech Venture Formation BAEN 580 – Mike Lyon’s at UBC along with Thomas Hellman.
- Fizz Project Lab – Engineering Physics
- EUS History Wiki – bill’s labour of luv.
- The Real Leadership Lessons of Steve Jobs, Walter Isaacson @ HBR, Summarizes Lessons From his best-selling book
- Eric Ries’ – Lesson’s Learned” – Eric founded IMVU and is a case study for Steve Blanks “Customer Development” model. Very useful site. Post are long and detailed.
- Seth Godin’s Marketing Blog – Old School values really matter. Solve real problems. Be trustworthy.
- Iinnovate Podcast – Stanford MBA School Interviews ( These are pretty old, but still good
- Steve Blank’s Blog – Lots of Customer Development Material and 1st hand “War Stories”
Marc Andreesen’s “blog.pmarca.com” was a great Startup Resource – unfortunately no new stuff lately – and archive is available here “http://pmarca-archive.posterous.com/“
- Career Planning Posts – Must Read
- Marc Andreesen on Start-Ups- This is a category link.
- The set of “The Truth about VC’s” is very good primer .. the last one on where VC money is coming from is an “eye opener”
- The Pmarca Guide to Startups, part 4: The only thing that matters – Product/Market Fit.
- Stanford E145 Main – An Undergrad Entrepreneurship Course
- E145 Textbook – Dorf & Byers “Tech Ventures”.
- Stanford EVP Educators Corner – a great resource. Ton’s of material: audio, video, and book links.
- Made to Stick – Chip & Dan Heath — Communications skills are very very very important. Applying their “succes” filter will help a lot.
- The Essential Drucker, Peter Drucker – This is a good survey of his material. A good starting point.
- Geoffrey Moore – Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling High-tech Products to Mainstream Customers, …, Dealing with Darwin: How Great Companies Innovate at Every Phase of Their Evolution(2005)
- Clayton Christensen The Innovators Dilemma, The Innovator’s Solution, Seeing What Next, etc.
- The No Asshole Rule: Building a Civilized Workplace and Surviving One That Isn’t (Hardcover) by Robert I. Sutton (Author) – Life is too short. This is great advice.
- The Four Steps to the Epiphany (Paperback) – by Steven Gary Blank (Author) – A Customer Development manifesto. Very practical. Good reading list included. Unfortunately, reads like an owners manual.
- Steve Blank – Startup Owners Manual – 2012. I’m reading it now. Looks very good.
What Got You Here, Won’t Get You There – by Marshall Goldsmith A book on personal skills. Contains the 20 Annoying Habits list
- Design of Business – Roger Martin Design Thinking in the real world. The battle of Creativity vs Reliability is not a battle – reliability almost always wins. Why? How to change that statistic? This book does a great job in describing the “real” challenges of being creative in the workplace. Much better than “Rah Rah — Let’s all be Creative” books. If you’re a creative type who always loses to finance — read this book. You’ll learn why you lost, why you probably should have lost, and also how to win your argument in the future
- My favorite Career Planning Blog Posts Andreesen, Godin, Blank, Horowitz, and Hoffman
- My Slideshare
- Blast From the Past: Presentation Notes for “eng-fizz-mentor-night-030408″
- – A series of posts on Product Marketing. My early blog days. Pretty bad
Presentations Fall 2009
- I’m Talking About Dating — both presentations