- Infinera S1
- link to S1
- Infinera Files S-1 — Technology and GeopoliticsWR Koss digs in as usual. Good links to other Infinera posts as well.
- Internet Video: Market Discontinuity or Investment Discontinuity — Technology and Geopolitics: WR Koss follows up on his earlier Infinera post. He questions “Does IPTV require more fiber?”, Level 3, Infinera, and the level of financing required for “box” startups ( ~$300 – $400M).
My 2 Cents “hardware based” box startups are struggling because box design costs are beginning to track Moore’s Law. Each new startup pushes ASIC technology to the limit: which means double the Eng effort (which is most of the cost) every 2 years. There is more silicon, so there is proportionally more software. I’ve read in many “analyst reports” that Cisco’s says that it has spent > $500M on its CSR. Note that Cisco employs a lot of “cut & paste” across products to lower its design costs. This translates to >$1B for a start-up to build a CSR ❗ ( because the startup can’t redeploy cards, chips, and software deployed by other systems. ). 💡 Redback’s method of using Chapter 11 to lower development costs appears to be “pure genius” at the moment.
- BT’s 21CN – Reversing a Victorian Tradition at Nyquist Capital — Andrew@Nyquist Andrew digs into BT’s 21CN and likes the Multi-Service Access Node (MSAN) concept.
- Bram Cohen On BitTorrent Entertainment Network – Slyck
- 5 reasons BitTorrent Store won’t sell — GigaOM Om slams BEN.
- Note From Boss To Employees – Execupundit.com Good list of ground rules for Supervisor & employee relationships.
Seth Godin has a number of good posts
- Showing up on time 💡
- How to Succeed in Business (to Business) – Can’t do it justice with a quick note. Read it.
- The Disappointment of the Noisy People Noisy people ( like bloggers ) will talk about your product, but they aren’t your market 😦 Read it.
- The China problem – Big markets r Sexy 💡 but very hard to enter. He’s got a little more detail. Read it.