In keeping with List Mania Month. Here is Mac OS X software that I use a lot.
- Skim — PDF Reading/Marking — Fantastic if you read lots of PDF files. Quick to load. Simple markup & commenting. Export notes to text. Use this everyday … it is my default pdf reader.
- NetNewsWire — RSS Reader –I read a lot online. This is the best way. I reviewed RSS News Readers a while ago.
- Mars Edit — Blog Editor — I really like this. Daniel@RedSweater has done a great job with version 2.x.
- Camino — Web Browser — I used Firefox for a long time, but Camino was getting some good reviews. I tried it and it’s my default. I still need Firefox for some things.
- BackupPC — Network Backup — This is fantastic. I can maintain a backup of all my families computers and they don’t have to do anything. It’s web-based so each user can have access to their backups if they want. I’ve posted on this part 1 & part 2. I tried Mac Mozy. It is good for “critical” work stuff, but its not gonna work for the whole music and video stuff which requires “gobs of” GB 😦
- TextWrangler — Text Editor — I do a lot of text formatting for posting to MediaWiki pages. I really like the “Regular Expression Search and Replace” (it adds a GREP mode to standard Search), run UNIX scripts on an open page, support for Perl, Python, Ruby, more. It would be nice if it supported MediaWiki markup. I’ve heard lotsa good things about textmate ( I may give it a try )
- FreeMind — Mind Mapping — I also think of it as a free form outliner. Really helps me organize my thoughts on difficult/larger problems. I don’t use this everyday, but when I need it. I really need it.
- Adium — IM — I keep coming back to Adium. I’ve got MSN, Messenger as well. But Adium works across them all. I like Fire as well, but it is no longer.
- Crypt — File encryptor — This is a handy program for those times when I need peace-of-mind with a “sensitive” file.
- VLC — Media Player — If it doesn’t work in QuickTime … it always works in VLC. I should probably use this as my default player.
- MediaWiki — Wiki — I put this on the network a few weeks ago. I really like it. I think it will stick.
On the fence
- Journlr – This is an electronic “journal”. Begins with the simple “keeping a journal” and then adds cool features like “tagging” documents, blog posting, etc. It is really slick. But it’s not sticking for me. I gotta try again.
- iTerm – terminal app – I keep switching back & forth between iTerm and the Apple terminal. mainly ’cause i fiddled with some settings that mess with “vi”. yes I still use “vi” for quick jobs. It’s just there 😉
- Skype – I’ve had a love / hate relationship with Skype for a few years now. I go thru phases of using it a lot and then only using it for IM. I did buy the $14.95 version for 2007, but will not renew. I have not phoned on it for months. We got the Shaw phone.