Here is a quick review of my 2013 Readings. The lists are in priority order.
These may be good gift ideas for *50 something dads*
Fun — Fiction
- The Name of the Wind » Patrick Rothfuss – Wow! ( thx Weiss Family.)
- Aleph » Paulo Coelho – Riveting. Very hard to put down.
- The Ocean At The End Of The Lane » Neil Gaiman – How does he think of these things? As usual for me and a Neil G book – I almost lept out of my skin in a few parts.
- The Stockholm Octavo » Karen Engelmann – very entertaining. (thx Seth Godin Reading List)
- Inferno » Dan Brown – entertaining.
Fun — Non-Fiction
- Willful Blindness: Why We Ignore the Obvious at Our Peril » Margaret Heffernan – What a beautiful rant! ( thx to Doug Duncan )
- Infinite Vision: How Aravind Became the World’s Greatest Business Case for Compassion » Mehta & Shenoy – Absolutely Inspiring look at Aravind Eye Hospitals! ( thx Daily Good )
- 100 Diagrams That Changed the World: From the Earliest Cave Paintings to the Innovation of the iPod » Scott Christianson – ( thx Brain Pickings)
- On Looking: Eleven Walks with Expert Eyes » Alexandra Horowitz – ( thx Brain Pickings.)
Business — Must Reads
- Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder » Nassim Taleb – superb! this is a difficult read. If you read one book – this is it.
- Humble Inquiry: The Gentle Art of Asking Instead of Telling » Edgar H. Schein – this is a must read. At a glance it seems so simple. In reality this is huge This is a “HowTo” of relationships.
Business — Startups & Innovation
- The Startup Owner’s Manual: The Step-by-Step Guide for Building a Great Company » Steve Blank, Bob Dorf – today’s “HowTo” Startup Bible. It is an “owners manual” … extreme patience required.
- The Other Side of Innovation (Execution) » VG & Trimble – Fantastic. Focus on innovation in existing companies. “intra-preneurship”.
- Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products that Customers Love » Roman Pichler – Good discussion of Product Management tasks and responsibilities. (thx to Olaf Kowalik blog for all his great product management book reviews )
- Startup Communities: Building an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem in Your City » Brad Feld – Fantastic! Again … relationships.
- The Founders Dilemmas » Noam Wasserman – great survey & synthesis of 10k+ startups.
- The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets » Brant Cooper, Patrick Vlaskovits – good complement to Startup Owners Manual.
Business — Stories and Attitude
- Purple Cow » Seth Godin – Still relevant. This is great!
- Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us eBook » Seth Godin – good.
- Poke the Box » Seth Godin – good.
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable » Patrick M. Lencioni – fantastic.
- Getting Past No » William Ury – useful.
- Decisive – Heath Brothers Heath Brothers – very useful.
- The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People » Stephen Covey – Timeless 🙂 ( thx to Deborah T )
- The Number: A Completely Different Way to Think About the Rest of Your Life » Lee Eisenberg – Personal Finance Anxiety covered with great depth and humour.
- Love 2.0: How Our Supreme Emotion Affects Everything We Feel, Think, Do, and Become » Barbara Fredrickson – very interesting.
Health & Spirituality
- The Alchemy of Illness » Kat Duff – if you have “chronic fatigue syndrome”, CFIDS, or know someone who has then read this. It is very realistic. Not sure about the last few chapters.
- Ordinary People as Monks and Mystics: Lifestyles for Spiritual Wholeness: Amazon.ca: Marsha Sinetar: Books – this is weird and wonderful.
- Confession of a Buddhist Atheist » Stephen Batchelor – what the heck 😉 this will twist your worldview into knots.