March 31, 2008
I’ve found Renamer4Mac to be a very useful tool. I particularly like the “Regular Expression” (grep) search & replace capability.
I do a lot of file processing every week which often requires renaming files. I’ve written Perl scripts for most of my batch jobs, but there is always something new that pops up.
March 29, 2008
I attended the Canadian XC Ski Nationals at Whistler Olympic Park last Sunday to watch my niece race the 15k. She did great.
It was cool to see the future Olympic site in action. The stadium concept allowed us to see a lot of skiing from a single vantage point.
The Finish Line 😉 — These XC types are “hardcore”. The hill climbs were wicked and most racers really powered up them. The result of that hard work was not pretty at the finish line. The racers came thru extremely spent 👿 It reminded me of Ralph Steadman’s “The Winners” in Hunter S. Thompson’s “The Curse of Lono“.
March 27, 2008
This is great entertainment. It’s very engrossing. It is imaginative 💡 It is scary 😯 It is weird. It has evil characters 👿 It is good. It is personal. It feels very very real. ➡ It is immensely sticky. I can’t get it off me 🙂
I completely agree with the final paragraph of this review: SF Site: A review by Alice Dechene .
You may have gathered that I really liked this novel. I’ll admit I don’t know how to classify it: sci-fi, fantasy or psychological thriller. In fact I don’t know how to label this at all except to call it very, very good.
Narrator: The Audible version is expertly narrated by the author himself. I usually avoid author narrations based on past experience, but this was very well done.
Plot: If you want plot hints go to Neverwhere (novel) – Wikipedia.
Book Club Questions – Here are discussion questions
This is my second Neil Gaiman book. I’m glad that there are many more to read.
March 21, 2008
❗ Congratulations Girls ❗ Here is a compilation of articles posted on the web. Will add more to this post as more becomes available.
- Tournament Summary 2008, Prince George Scores for all the games.
- Championship Game Radio Broadcast – West Kootenay vs North Shore, March 20, 2008 – Thanks to Telus for funding this & Ron Gallo for doing it 🙂 Can be downloaded as iTunes podcast
- Several strides of improvement Prince George Citizen, Thursday, March 20, 2008 – mainly on PG team.
- PeeWee Hockey Highlights, Prince George Citizen, Monday March 17, 2008 – mainly surrey, kelowna, and pg.
March 18, 2008
Boing Boing Blog has a large collection of reading on the Tibetan Protests. Here’s the lead of the latest one.
Tibet: nearly 1,000 jailed in Lhasa, Dalai Lama offers to resign
POSTED BY XENI JARDIN, MARCH 18, 2008 8:42 AM | PERMALINK
* Above: cellphone video of thousands of monks and laypeople protesting at Labrang monastery Xiahe, Gansu province in China. March 15, 2008.
* Left: The dead bodies of eight protesters were brought into Ngaba Kirti Monastery yesterday, in the Ngaba area of Tibet. The caption on this image from phayul.com indicates that observers are throwing money on the corpses as a customary expression of grief. Students for a Free Tibet posted reports that more than 20 protesters were killed at Ngaba. Here are photos of the dead (warning: graphic). Copies of the same photos are here.
* Here is the first-person account of Spence Palermo, a sound technician and filmmaker from Oregon, who was on location at that monastery working on a TV program for Nation”
* lots more 😦
March 18, 2008
💡 Remember to add this important skill to your spring practice routines.
Charlie King on The Proper Way to Throw Your Club (Golf.com)
March 16, 2008
First time since mid-Feb 👿 Wonder if it will work tomorrow?
Of course Yahoo mail support has not contacted me yet. I’ve given up on them. It’s now been 9 days since the last contact. The only thing they have been able to tell me in the past month is — go to this online problem report report page, or it’s not our problem 😦
fyi .. I’m a long time premium Yahoo mail user who has switched to gmail. I hate switching. I hated having to switch from @netscape.net in ’98, but it was necessary. I hated switching from @yahoo.com this past month, but it was necessary. I hope I that I don’t have to change from @gmail.com for ten years as well.